This series of five arbours, commissioned by the City of Saskatoon, mark the land adjacent to Saskatoon’s original train station and central train yard. The coming of the railway was a major factor contributing to the growth and settlement of the city and region. Today this arterial road corridor and pedestrian space continues to be connected to an important infrastructure of Saskatoon’s past as it is still bisected by an active rail line and crossing. The perforations in the arbours depict a map of Saskatchewan from 1932 showing the Canadian National Railway and the Canadian Pacific Railway lines which connected towns and cities throughout the Saskatchewan prairies. The frame of the arbours allude to the sectional profile of a train.
CreditsArtists: Jyhling Lee and Paul Koopman